1 month of GSoC is already over and the coding period has officially begun. Here’s a highlight of what I did and what I plan to do for this week
Most of the time of community bonding period was spent giving college exams. By the time my exams got over, I only had a week left to make something useful of the community bonding period time.
QProcess is used to start external programs and to communicate with them. The communication between QProcess and the external program happens through channels. The three standard channels used for communication are
Standard output(stdout): supplies regular console output
Standard error(stderr): supplies the errors that are printed by the process
Standard input(stdin): provides input to the process
KProcess is no different from QProcess. It inherits QProcess and extends it by by some extra and useful functionality
Since a few of the back ends of cantor were already using KProcess, we had to decide whether we actually need KProcess or whether QProcess will suffice our needs. The best way to decide this was to port a back end which makes use of KProcess to QProcess.
Port of Scilab to QProcess
The port process was pretty simple and did not take more than an hour to port and test. The test was performed on various inputs including plot commands.
You can have a look at the commit that actually does the port
Since Everything worked fine, we decided to move forward with QProcess and use it for other back ends
Plan for this week
The very first back end I have decided to work on is Qalculate. Qalculate at the moment uses libqalculate library for all the calculations.
To get rid of libcalulate, we will be making use of qalc which is the command line interface for Qalculate
This week I’ll be concentrating on setting up basic communication between Cantor and Qalculate using qalc
Let the hacking begin!